New Inn, Biggar Village.

1669-1973 The New Inn was one of the last houses in Barrow to obtain a license under the 1830 Beerhouses Act.. The Inn never quite enjoyed the same popularity as the Queens. For sale March 3, 1920. Now a private dwelling house.

New Inn, 2/4 Franklin Street.

1661-1972 Built by William Gradwell. Sold to Cases by Francis Kendall and John Ashburner on April 15, 1873. Prior to 1872 known as the Hammer and Pincers, name changed by Cases. Frank Lappin the last licensee, believed that up until the time of the pub’s closure that the pub was the oldest in Barrow Town, having mistakenly thought the pub was licensed in 1849. closed November 4, 1972.

Old Bank, Duke Street

CLICK FOR PHOTO

1980-As the name suggests this is a converted bank premises. Opened by D. Thwaites on April 16, 1980.  This pub closed down somewheer around 2012 and is now a Wold Food Buffet Restauarnt

 

Old Barrow Arms. Barrow Island.

1873-1877 Received a temporary license in 1873 until completion of the Devonshire Hotel, Michaelson Road In 1877. Became a Sunday School in St Andrews Street.

 

Old House at Home, 4 Anson Street.

1864-1927 For Sale in 1871, licensed for beer only, was originally known as The Old Staffordshire House. Wine license granted in 1883. It’s nickname was "The Hole in the Wall ". To Let or manage in June, 1900 apply to Cases. Referred for compensation in 1923, license renewed at adjourned session. Referred again in 1926 and compensation paid. Closed 1927 Last licensee was Maggie Rowley.

 

Ormsgill Hotel, Ormsgill.

CLICK FOR PHOTO

1876- Mr Yewdall, who built the Ormsgill, first applied for a license in 1875, which was refused. Applied for a license the following year. Verandah and Bowl House added by Mr Yewdall in 1882. For Sale by public auction in 1890 with spacious bowling green, stables, coach house and other outbuildings. The bowling green is long gone and the coach house is now an electricity board sub station.

 

Paddy’s Goose. Duncan Street.

1861-1869 In the relatively short time that Paddy’s Goose was open, it obtained quite a notorious reputation as a drinking den and haunt of prostitutes. Closed by the Justices in 1869.

 

Paulo Giannos. Cavendish Street

DATES UNKNOWN  Located on the site of the old cinema on the corner of Dalkeith and Cavendish Street.  It is a wine bar. Cosed down and re-opened as part of Manhattens nite club (To be verified)

 

Peacock Inn, 147 Cavendish Street.

CLICK FOR PHOTO

1868- Opened by C. West, 1868. Sold to Dalton Breweries, date unknown. To Let in May, 1894, apply Dalton Brewery. In 1898 sold to Worthingtons, Burton-on-Trent. Bought by Thompsons in 1913.

Closed in 2015 and converted for other use

 

The Periscope. Mill Lane Walney.

CLICK FOR PHOTO

1969- Built by Bass Charringtons to serve a large estate. The pub is designed around a theme, in this case a submarine, even the toilets are called heads. When the pub was opened in April, 1969, a functioning periscope was installed which was taken from an old conventional "T" class submarine. However after complaints from the local residents of "peeping" the periscope was dismantled.  In 2006 this pub was renamed "The Island Tavern"

The pub was demolished around 2013

 

Piel Pier Hotel, Roa Island.

CLICK FOR PHOTO

1849- Built by Furness Railway to accommodate travellers sailing from Roa Island, the hotel’s name was changed to Roa Island Hotel in the early 1890’s.

 

Prime Jug, 5 McClintock Street.

1864-1932 Originally a small cottage beerhouse, in 1869 the Prime Jug was altered and extended. First referred for compensation in 1923. Closed in 1932.

 

Prince of Wales, 23 Ramsden Street. (Now called Costellos)

CLICK FOR PHOTO

1860- For Sale December 17,1890, free from brewery. Bought by Cases from W. Cottam on August 5 1897, Referred for compensation, property of Cases in 1933. Cases starved off the closure and carried out improvements and alterations in 1937 by buying 2 Paradise Street and extending the Prince of Wales. It was completely rebuilt in 1956.

 

Queen’s Arms, Biggar Village.

CLICK FOR PHOTO

Pre 1773- John Hool is mentioned as keeping a beerhouse in Biggar in 1773. In 1838 Richard Spencer Is listed as keeping an Inn. The house was known as "The Letters", a general term for a licensed house with no registered title. The name Queen’s Arms first appeared in 1871. It was most probably named when The New Inn appeared in 1869. Sold to Councillor Hunter for 2,450 in 1879. To be sold by tender August 8,1896. George Casson advertised as taking the Queens in January 1897.

 

Queen’s Arms, 2 Rawlinson Street.

CLICK FOR PHOTO

1853- William King was granted a full license for his new hotel at Barrow in September, 1853. An advert in the Ulverston Advertiser in 1856 stated that the public house known as the Queen’s Arms, Barrow, late in the occupancy of Mr William King was to let by ticket Consisting of hotel, brewhouse, stables and other outhouses. The hotel being situated on Rabbit Hill. To be sold September 3, 1857. In the occupancy of James Tyson, June, 1887. Barrow Town Council approved alterations and additions to the Queen’s by Messrs. G. and H. Tyson. Sold June 20, 1993 for 3,500 to Thompsons. Altered and extended in the early 1900’s

This pub has stood empty since around 2009 (To be verified)

 

Queen’s Hotel, 208 Duke Street.

CLICK FOR PHOTO

1867- Full license granted to J. Hartley ( no connection with the Ulverston brewery) for a 12 bedroomed hotel with stables and coach house he was building in Duke Street in September 1866. The Queens opened the following year and remained the property of James Hartley until his death in 1888 when the hotel was sold to Thompsons for 6,900.  Demolished in 2005 to make way for Hindpool improvement schemes.